Subject: bug#8635: Some Fortran files don't have the extensions automake wants

From: Peter Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 19:38:27 -0700

I'm working on wrapping a large, preexisting piece of Fortran code with
an Autotools-based build system. The code is written in Fortran 90 and
uses ".for" for the file extension. Unfortunately, automake thinks that
".for" files are Fortran 77 code, so the wrong compiler gets used and
chokes on the F90 constructs.

It's not practical for me to rename the files -- tracking upstream would
become impossible. Would it be possible to provide a way for me to tell
automake that my .for files are actually Fortran 90, not Fortran 77? As
far as I can tell, this mapping is simply hardcoded
in /usr/bin/automake. It wouldn't be the most pleasant, but it'd suffice
if there were some global variable that I could set that would say "hey,
Automake, .for files are F90". One could imagine more generic solutions
as well, but Fortran is probably the only language that has these kinds
of problems.

Thanks,

Peter

-- 
Peter Williams / [email-masked]
Department of Astronomy, UC Berkeley