Subject: bug#8628: 24.0.50; `thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point' - no good

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 14:43:41 -0400

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Besides which, we might as well get rid of
> `thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point' and the `(put 'list
> 'bounds-of-thing-at-point 'thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point)'.
>
> There is no generally no reason to define such
> `thing-at-point-bounds-of...'  functions.  The regular
> `bounds-of-thing-at-point' should work, and it does.
>
> Try M-: (bound-of-thing-at-point 'list) instead of M-:
>
> (thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point).  It returns (191 . 218) at
> the first location (which corresponds to the list before point, which
> I suppose is OK - it's certainly a lot better than the current
> behavior).  And it returns nil at eob, which is correct.

This is incorrect; thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point is a helper
function that is called by `bounds-of-thing-at-point'.  If removed,
(bounds-of-thing-at-point 'list) no longer works.

I've marked thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point explicitly as an
internal function, and will close this bug.