Subject: RE: bug#8628: 24.0.50; `thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point' - no good

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 13:06:53 -0700

> > Put point just after the list `(set-buffer-modified-p nil)'.
> > M-: (thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point)
> 
> Nobody should care about 
> thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point because
> it's an internal function.

An internal function that is called by other functions, which _do_ affect what
users see.

See my followup message to the original report.  The point is that
`bounds-of-thing-at-point' does not work well for type `list'.  And the reason
is that we have `thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point' - it just messes things
up.  Get rid of it and you get nothing but improvement.

Just try it.  Do this and the results for (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'list) are
much better:

(put 'list 'bounds-of-thing-at-point nil)

As I said,

> There is no generally no reason to define such
> `thing-at-point-bounds-of...' functions.  The regular
> `bounds-of-thing-at-point' should work, and it does.