Subject: Re: bug#8615: Please make sure v q removes the buffer for JPGs just like it does for other files

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:10:47 -0500

>> As for `q', I don't understand why `quit-window' should differ from
>> `View-quit'.  Why does `q' bound to `View-quit' kill the buffer, while
>> `quit-window' bound to `q' doesn't?

> I thought the point of "view mode" was to give you a mode for, well,
> quick viewing.  In that context it makes perfect sense for `q' to kill
> the buffer.  If you're using a regular non-view mode, having `q' kill
> the buffer would be odd.

Using "view mode" as the deciding factor is wrong.  The "quick viewing"
meaning is bound to the use of "v" is dired, not to the use of
view-mode.  So maybe the right solution is to make view-mode use
quit-window, change quit-window so it obeys a `quit-window-kills'
variable (which toggles the meaning of C-u), and change dired's v to set
quit-window-kills buffer-locally?

I'm sure it's the right behavior: I do think that we want to move
towards merging View-quit and quit-window, but other than that I don't
know because I like my Emacs to accumulate buffers.

        Stefan