Subject: bug#8604: Linux mime help needed

From: "Alan Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 15:46:38 -0500 (GMT+5)

Eric Blake writes:
> 
> $ file mmencode
> mmencode: PA-RISC2.0 shared executable dynamically linked - not stripped
> 
> If you want to run a binary on a different platform, you have to
> recompile it from source for that platform.  Do you have the source for
> mmencode?  If not, then I don't see how you can expect to migrate to a
> different operating system and hardware.  But again, that's outside the
> scope of Coreutils.

For the record, mmencode is found in the metamail package, and also comes
with elm. Source is still findable, even though it's dropped out of the
"packaged by the OS distributor" level of popularity. (Curious header
watchers will have noticed I'm an elm user. And yep, I used mmencode to
decode the mmencode in the original question.)

The coreutils equivalent is base64(1).

After a rewrite with mutt, the whole script might be a one-liner.

-- 
Alan Curry