Subject: Re: bug#8604: Linux mime help needed

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 10:09:02 -0600

tags 8604 + notabug
thanks

Syed Nizamuddin wrote:
> We are migrating from unix to Linux and need help on mime. The scripts works
> fine in Unix but it says cann't execute mmencode in Linux.I have attached
> the scripts for you reference. Your help will be appreciated.

You have reached the GNU Coreutils mailing list.  The GNU Coreutils
are the basic file, shell and text manipulation utilities of the GNU
Operating System.  You can learn more about GNU Coreutils here:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/

The GNU Coreutils are part of the GNU Operating System.  You can learn
more about the GNU Project here:

  http://www.gnu.org/

But you are asking about mmencode and general system porting issues.
I am sorry but this is the wrong mailing list.  This lists is for bugs
in GNU coreutils.  The mmencode program is not part of the coreutils
project.  You would have better luck asking on the help-gnu-utils
mailing list instead.

Having said that I did look briefly at your email and I see that you
included an HP-UX binary mmencode program with your email.  That is an
HP-UX program and will not run on a GNU/Linux system.  It is the wrong
architecture.  That is probably the first thing you will need to do.
You will need to install a GNU/Linux compatible mmencode binary
program.  Although personally I would probably use a program such as
'mutt' to handle the mime attachements rather than to build the mime
attachment manually.  Also some of your other syntax will very likely
need to be adjusted to operate on a different system.  A quick browse
of the script showed me the following issues but there may be more.

 * install mmencode
 * mailx -r option isn't portable
 * test -a option isn't portable
 * use /usr/sbin/sendmail not /usr/lib/sendmail

Good luck!

Bob