Subject: bug#858 closed by Michael Olson <[email-masked]> (Re: Conflict between ERC mode tracking and ibuffer window shrinking)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#858: Conflict between ERC mode tracking and ibuffer window shrinking

It has been closed by Michael Olson <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Michael Olson <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
858: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=858
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Tue Oct  7 22:07:17 2008
From: Michael Olson <[email-masked]>
To: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Cc: John Paul Wallington <[email-masked]>, "Antoine Levitt" <[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Conflict between ERC mode tracking and ibuffer window shrinking
Face: iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAADAAAAAwBAMAAAClLOS0AAAAGFBMVEU1QytIVTlZY0dqc1N6
 hGGJl3qZpZCtuKXsjxzFAAACW0lEQVR42l2UXXrqIBCGk67Aoe29Ac4CTPDcGwZ73wLdQDOuQLP9
 8wHG9hT1Mc6bb/5jp7Xed92TVrqeCYfKRVc+XdfDbqbJ8TixG1UDu2a3xkf2H+z+A6Qn7Xk71AA8
 kdJmZg4xpcTshgr2JQSurAswhwDFYQN9r4yxx1BIQqBTBbvqahw9hxRSLOBdFVA89TTOvgSoMaLf
 ABTWOg5Z8lLRNyD7x4WSVHU1DZurThn2HI9Oa561JhTSDUWxq64YqRlmrcdhA73y3rmJY1okotDT
 NzDO2XNGZPnS7A4b6NQ8foQFN2eJmEBR7Du1Q/DRh7R4O50BrGmu0F8i49Iya+ScvtDNqkADB8zD
 pwU9wTu9c8msdNYOO0JvYYyREd9xBOh7zSNc2WMZUYzIDHOpU0Kxe5o9o0eccsr5mNLcwHhC8DoM
 SQkJ5wbUxAdlbDELEpDbclc8sT2gV2HJIrj/si7hDgzPpY4sqxTV+pWkgt7EGesDIFWUnGuK7pkn
 erZoieCVZPGcG3jCJimLwS7IVZY4R3mvoNfzoCfOF0mIG1nna+TadAxzgF5u0b3JTaxcmZtCF1dn
 WSOv63oNl4U3BQCLXOQKWZIHUBWcUci6iuTL7eMOelVAKfp+NkA0kOElN3BbV26AiGZsXEqfa0EQ
 NtATvTAKCeHh7AEEi4knM6S3HwB2eo1zeZQ5fDbgNkCpbEwh8HUTqYDqwUhIG2NQ/k2WH+CVB9LK
 aINy0EeAvgF6KRK0wIaPiX8CioRNpQF7X/8EOnoAPpUvrX8DED7t8B/Bv8ErfnpSfxv4B9rx7BDd
 lxXRAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
Face: iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAADAAAAAwBAMAAAClLOS0AAAAGFBMVEU2MSswMT5cXXJlX1CC
 hJObl4TMw7br49UydvpeAAACIUlEQVR42oXTTXObMBAG4FWJ7xKpczaYSa84fJw9doKvJLKUq6fA
 8gtAf7+7CPwxnU537IsevYtWxmD+UfB/qAEEwN9Qg+KS8hFqkEqokEmIO6hBSHWrG0xtQhWG/FVy
 vUAtpo1RFHNFU2QCXg9jX8l7slVrD5/UKVLxIY4PySFOOOOBAlEYJ7R4oNUkiXdyAe4zA22hxIrh
 K4y4TfLOD474FLGHmvbQIgWug4g1w552HvhAtwklMKQJJ6K7yZWYYJPQER/WlZpAJA9tbokwmbfT
 LdG1y40QSjDA0icUAgQVoWS4NvixA7kD2JHAPchQQIDVB+7p13kAgI/eja3BDTwkxJPpnRuzoNqL
 O5CibNE5N+SNvYC4Szw3kFPC2aG/yNUVpCyDrOBWBM0EXx5+6ny0FHDd2/eFpzOfHl7ey7FiQDND
 6uE0VGPufHmg+Rm+3bkzMzQTvPH1KHFyXcWHcv2SOJNIBad5t8MlYfQWpIyvYPs5Qa9JSvddLQF6
 kJ7hnFLk1wwjPakO5nc320JQLkCf/Sqb/wbFRr66aw1p0HjQZg9PfrGz/fgbVjPkRstsGmKgi0Sd
 5lgwZJk9gj/WaNC1Ji3wyFBoazIo7HJerF89lNq2KRQGJ2gLrEsseXLKdEf50hlLNGiLumoqBtsV
 qKFEnI6uES9lawkK2+XYyQJZMmtKbKoWGRA1tukzchXYldhhQ0A98UwPDCbQqKkn5vgHawMQkYJi
 arwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 22:07:00 -0700

Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> Could you take a look at this bug report?  I'm not sure whether ERC or
> ibuffer needs fixing.

The problem was that just before fit-window-to-buffer was called in
`ibuffer-shrink-to-fit', the display was showing a split frame with
both windows displaying the same ERC buffer, even though the current
buffer was actually *Ibuffer*.  I added a (redisplay t) call to force
the display to be up-to-date before fit-window-to-buffer is called,
which fixes the problem.

-- 
|       Michael Olson  |  FSF Associate Member #652     |
| http://mwolson.org/  |  Hobbies: Lisp, HCoop          |
| Projects: Emacs, Muse, ERC, EMMS, ErBot, DVC, Planner |
`-------------------------------------------------------'

>From [email-masked] Mon Sep  1 16:26:58 2008
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:26:52 +0200
From: "Antoine Levitt" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Conflict between ERC mode tracking and ibuffer window shrinking

------=_Part_56566_23114664.1220311612198
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

Hi,
There is a bug when using conjointly these two features. Here are the
relevant portions of configuration :
;;make ibuffer resize itself to its buffer size
(setq ibuffer-use-other-window t)
(setq ibuffer-default-shrink-to-minimum-size t)

No specific configuration for erc, just enabling tracker is enough.
Then, run erc, and, in any erc buffer, call ibuffer. The screen briefly
flashes as an ERC window opens then disappears, and the ibuffer window is
reduced to a much smaller size than what it would be outside ERC. I think
the issue is erc's hook to window-configuration-change somehow messing with
ibuffer, but I'm not experienced enough to find where the bug is.

Antoine Levitt

------=_Part_56566_23114664.1220311612198
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

<div dir="ltr">Hi,<br>There is a bug when using conjointly these two features. Here are the relevant portions of configuration :<br>;;make ibuffer resize itself to its buffer size<br>(setq ibuffer-use-other-window t)<br>(setq ibuffer-default-shrink-to-minimum-size t)<br>
<br>No specific configuration for erc, just enabling tracker is enough.<br>Then, run erc, and, in any erc buffer, call ibuffer. The screen briefly flashes as an ERC window opens then disappears, and the ibuffer window is reduced to a much smaller size than what it would be outside ERC. I think the issue is erc&#39;s hook to window-configuration-change somehow messing with ibuffer, but I&#39;m not experienced enough to find where the bug is.<br>
<br>Antoine Levitt<br></div>

------=_Part_56566_23114664.1220311612198--