Subject: bug#8569: 24.0.50; overlay arrow

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:56:51 -0700

(elisp) Overlay Arrow:
 
"The "overlay arrow" is useful for directing the user's attention to a
particular line in a buffer.  For example, in the modes used for
interface to debuggers, the overlay arrow indicates the line of code
about to be executed.  This feature has nothing to do with "overlays"
(*note Overlays::)."
 
The overlay arrow is not something used all over the place in Emacs code
and doc.  We should change the name now to avoid this confusion.
 
Possible renamings:
 
overlay-arrow-string        -> line-indicator-string
overlay-arrow-position      -> line-indicator-position
overlay-arrow-variable-list -> line-indicator-position-variables
 
This confusion is all the worse because this node _does_ mix up the two,
talking about both: "You can do a similar job by creating an overlay
with a `before-string' property.  *Note Overlay Properties::."

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-04-25 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'