Subject: 24.0.50; fringe-indicator-alist doc

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:31:14 -0700

1. (elisp) Fringe Indicators: "`top-bottom" is missing the closing
single-quote, for some reason: "...used only for the `bottom' and
`top-bottom indicators when the...".
 
2. There is no real explanation of LEFT1 and RIGHT1.  The pseudo
explanation is unintelligible: "The LEFT1 or RIGHT1 bitmaps are used
only for the `bottom' and `top-bottom' indicators when the last (only)
line has no final newline."  That talks about the situation when they
are used, but it doesn't explain what they are or how they are used.
 
3. This var maps logical indicators to bitmaps.  But we need to describe
each logical indicator.  What does it mean?  When is it appropriate to
use it?  For some you can guess, based on the short description: "empty
line indicator" is no doubt appropriate for indicating an empty line.
But what about `overlay-arrow'?  Its description is "Overlay arrow
indicator"  Well, duh, but what does that mean?   When do you use it?
What is it intended for?
 
4. The node ends with "Standard fringe bitmaps for indicators:" and a
list of bitmap symbols.  A bitmap symbol such as `bottom-left-angle' is
meaningless as just a name.  If we can't have images then at least
provide one-line descriptions of what each looks like.  It would also
help to show the default mapping, that is, the default value of
`fringe-indicator-alist'.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-04-25 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'