Subject: bug#8564: 24.0.50; bootstrap on windows 7: `gl-stamp' target failed

From: William Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:19:20 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

   Uh-oh!  Is this the MSYS port of Bash, by any chance?  Or maybe the
   Cygwin Bash?  If so, can you remove sh.exe from PATH and try again?
   At least the MSYS Bash has a nasty habit of munging the command-line
   arguments if it "thinks" that those arguments are Unix-style /foo/bar
   file names.  So my crystal ball says that it "thinks" "/c" in "cmd /c"
   is such a file name and changes it to something like "cmd L:/c", which
   of course totally confuses cmd.exe.

   You will see that nt/INSTALL advises against the MSYS shell:

                              MSYS sh.exe also appears to cause various
     problems.  If you have MSYS installed, try "make SHELL=cmd.exe" to
     force the use of cmd.exe instead of sh.exe.

OK.  That is the problem! It is a MSYS bash, included in msys-git.
Thanks.  

It seems kind of nasty, though.  We reply on unix tools like cp, rm,
etc, but they are often bundled together with sh.  Maybe add the above
note to "* For the impatient" section as well would be a good idea?

-- 
William

http://xwl.appspot.com