Subject: bug#8563: closed (Re: bug#8563: 24.0.50; TeX IM \aleph should insert math aleph, not Hebrew aleph)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 20:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8563: 24.0.50; TeX IM \aleph should insert math aleph, not Hebrew aleph

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8563: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8563
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8563: 24.0.50; TeX IM \aleph should insert math aleph, not Hebrew aleph
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (Trent W. Buck)
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 23:37:53 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: [email-masked] (Trent W. Buck)
> Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:01:47 +1000
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> When I select the TeX input method (^X^M^\TeX^M) then insert an aleph
> (\aleph), it inserts a hebrew aleph (א, D790 HEBREW LETTER ALEF).
> 
> Since the TeX IM is probably being used for math (cf. a hebraic IM), it
> should instead insert the math codepoint (ℵ, E284B5, ALEF SYMBOL).

Thanks for pointing this out.  I fixed this on the emacs-23 branch, it
should be merged to the trunk in a few days.

Subject: 24.0.50; TeX IM \aleph should insert math aleph, not Hebrew aleph
From: [email-masked] (Trent W. Buck)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:01:47 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I select the TeX input method (^X^M^\TeX^M) then insert an aleph
(\aleph), it inserts a hebrew aleph (א, D790 HEBREW LETTER ALEF).

Since the TeX IM is probably being used for math (cf. a hebraic IM), it
should instead insert the math codepoint (ℵ, E284B5, ALEF SYMBOL).

The current behaviour caused a problem in IRC, because another user's
IRC client (xchat 2.8.6) assumed that hebrew should be rendered
right-to-left, so instead of aleph-null, he saw null-aleph.  This did
not happen when he was sent the ALEF SYMBOL codepoint.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2010-12-14 on elegiac, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20101212-2)
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--host' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--without-compress-info' '--with-x=no' '--without-dbus' '--without-sound' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_AU.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  savehist-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dpkg-dev-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50emacs-goodies-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50magit.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50paredit-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50puppet-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50w3m-el-snapshot.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/51debian-el.el (source)...done
Ido mode enabled
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit-svn hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit-svn
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit-key-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit-key-mode
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit-topgit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit-topgit
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/puppet-el/puppet-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/puppet-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug jka-compr edmacro kmacro xt-mouse ido
savehist icomplete paren delsel saveplace debian-el debian-el-loaddefs
w3m-load emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs
easy-mmode dpkg-dev-el dpkg-dev-el-loaddefs ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)