Subject: 24.0.50; TeX IM \aleph should insert math aleph, not Hebrew aleph

From: [email-masked] (Trent W. Buck)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:01:47 +1000

When I select the TeX input method (^X^M^\TeX^M) then insert an aleph
(\aleph), it inserts a hebrew aleph (א, D790 HEBREW LETTER ALEF).

Since the TeX IM is probably being used for math (cf. a hebraic IM), it
should instead insert the math codepoint (ℵ, E284B5, ALEF SYMBOL).

The current behaviour caused a problem in IRC, because another user's
IRC client (xchat 2.8.6) assumed that hebrew should be rendered
right-to-left, so instead of aleph-null, he saw null-aleph.  This did
not happen when he was sent the ALEF SYMBOL codepoint.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2010-12-14 on elegiac, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20101212-2)
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--host' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--without-compress-info' '--with-x=no' '--without-dbus' '--without-sound' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_AU.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  savehist-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dpkg-dev-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50emacs-goodies-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50magit.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50paredit-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50puppet-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50w3m-el-snapshot.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/51debian-el.el (source)...done
Ido mode enabled
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit-svn hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit-svn
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit-key-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit-key-mode
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit-topgit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit-topgit
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/puppet-el/puppet-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/puppet-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug jka-compr edmacro kmacro xt-mouse ido
savehist icomplete paren delsel saveplace debian-el debian-el-loaddefs
w3m-load emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs
easy-mmode dpkg-dev-el dpkg-dev-el-loaddefs ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)