Subject: Re: bug#8562: Emacs 23.1 and later don't work in windows 98

From: oslsachem <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 01:41:59 +0200

> OK, so let's call GetOutlineTextMetricsW and GetTextMetricsW in Emacs
> through function pointers, like the sample program did.  Let's see if
> that works.  You will need to declare hm_unicows `extern' in w32font.c [...]

It works! :)

There isn't any error in the debugger and the program quits cleanly:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28780096/Emacs-23.3GDBSizeOK.txt

But a new problem ( which maybe has been there all this time but there
was no way for us to know about until now ) is apparent:

The *About GNU Emacs* buffer:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28780097/AboutEmacs.png

A GNU Emacs tooltip:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28780098/Emacs23ToolTips.png

A test of the *scratch* buffer:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28780099/Emacs23BufferTests.png

The previous image represents approximately the following sequence of
characters:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

                                   (a line of spaces)
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
.....................................
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
33333333333333333333333
77777777777777777777
????????????????????
XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX

That is, the cursor doesn't advance enough and so consecutive
characters overlap.
Also, the Space and the End Of Line are represented as an empty square
that advances the cursor correctly.
The Tab key doesn't have any visible effect on the buffer.

Greetings,
                 Osl