Subject: Re: bug#8562: Emacs 23.1 and later don't work in windows 98

From: oslsachem <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 17:12:26 +0200

> 120 means "This function is not supported on this system".  Do you
> have the Microsoft Layer for Unicode (MSLU) installed on that system?

I remember having downloaded the MSLU from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=73ba7bd7-ed06-4f0d-80a4-2a7eeaee17e2
some time ago.

"The download contains UnicoWS.dll (the MSLU binary), and UnicoWS.pdb
which can be used when debugging."

These files are extracted in the directory that the user chooses.

I had no idea where to put them, so I chose the windows subdirectory
which seemed to contain the most dll files and which happened to be
"system".

> If you do, you should have UNICOWS.DLL somewhere on Path.

The "system" directory isn't in the path by default, so unicows.dll
wasn't in the path.

Unfortunately, after adding the "system" directory to the path ( or
another one which contains the unicows.dll  ) the same error ( 120 )
still appears in Emacs.

> If you have that package installed, can you try compiling a simple
> program that just calls these two functions, and run it on the Windows
> 98 machine to see if they fail in the same way?

They seem to work in the sample program:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28718617/sample.c

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28718618/sampleGDB.txt

Greetings,
                Osl