Subject: Re: bug#8562: Emacs 23.1 and later don't work in windows 98

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:21:12 +0200

> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 21:38:55 +0200
> From: oslsachem <[email-masked]>
> 
> > Which process stays hidden -- the original runemacs.exe or emacs.exe
> > that is run by runemacs.exe?
> 
> Judging by the GDB log
> 
> http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30954233/RunemacsGDB.txt
> 
>  and the process viewer window (WinTop)
> 
> http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30954234/RunemacsProcessViewer.png
> 
> , I would say that the original runemacs.exe process exits
> successfully after launching the emacs.exe process, which is the one
> that stays hidden in the background.

It is strange that I cannot reproduce this on my XP box.  (I simulated
a Windows 9X system by inverting the is_9x test in
w32_load_unicows_or_gdi32, and modified the name of the DLL to
something that doesn't exist on my system.)  When I run "runemacs -Q"
both from the command prompt and from a desktop shortcut, I get the
abort dialog in both cases telling that UNICOWS.DLL was not found etc.

Does it matter in your case whether Emacs is invoked from the command
prompt or from a shortcut?

Jason, could you perhaps help me out here, by looking at the patch I
posted in this bug report?  Did I do something wrong with how I invoke
the error dialog that might not work on Windows 9X, when Emacs is
invoked via runemacs?

If nothing else gives a clue, I think I can make a similar test in
runemacs.exe and pop up the error dialog from there.

Thanks.