Subject: bug#8550: A libtool question (trying to compile with MS VC++ from VS 2008 SP1)

From: "Robert A. Lerche" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:01:33 -0700

Hi.

I am a consultant working for a large client on a high-profile
security-related project.

[trying to build libtool-2.4 with MSVC++]

I'm trying to introduce use of open source software instead of
proprietary systems.  The particular project uses Python for the
client, with OpenSSL for secure communications and a dynamic engine to
talk to a hardware security device.

This lash-up requires engine_pkcs11 and libp11, so in turn I need
libtool.

I have been able to compile everything with "pure Microsoft" tools
*except* libtool.

During development, as a workaround, I'm using MinGW/MSYS.  This
works.  However, I'd like to eliminate that dependency (various .dll
files) if possible.

I've seen tantalizing hints of MS VC++ support in a couple of posts on
Savannah but when I try to build libtool with the MS compiler I'm
getting stuck.  I have set up a PATH that includes MSYS for the tools
but omits gcc.  This almost works.

I attach a log of the current spot where my build fails.  

Thanks for any help you can give me.