Subject: bug#8549: 23.3; Undocumented setting of eval-expression-debug-on-error

From: Uday S Reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 14:23:53 +0100

There is a tricky variable called `eval-expression-debug-on-error' which
I didn't notice till recently.

It is getting set automatically in lisp-interaction-mode and in the Lisp
debugger.  The manual doesn't say anywhere that this is being done.

I would prefer that it doesn't get set automatically, given that it has a
tricky behavior.  In the light of my previous bug report #8548 that the
debugger can't exit recursive editing levels, making any kind of typing
mistake while working with the debugger puts it in a recursive editing level
where it gets stuck.

  http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8548

If you don't want to change the lisp-interaction-mode and the debugger-mode,
can you at least document it in the manual that the variable gets set in
these modes so that the users can unset it in the mode-hooks?  I have
suffered for several years needlessly.

(By the way, edebug doesn't seem to set the variable.)

Cheers,
Uday

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Buffer Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  savehist-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> C-x C-b C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n <return> C-a C-x y C-x C-g M-x r e p o r t 
- e m a c s - b u SPC <return>

Recent messages:
d:/Home/udr/.authinf: 0% (0/231)
d:/Home/udr/.authinf: 100% (231/231)
Sending...
Sending via mail...
d:/Home/udr/.authinf: 0% (0/231)
d:/Home/udr/.authinf: 100% (231/231)
d:/Home/udr/.authinf: 0% (0/231)
d:/Home/udr/.authinf: 100% (231/231)
Sending...done
Commands: d, s, x, u; f, o, 1, 2, m, v; ~, %; q to quit; ? for help.
Quit

Load-path shadows:
d:/Home/udr/share/emacs/sml-mode hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../site-lisp/sml-mode
d:/Home/udr/share/emacs/savehist-20+ hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../site-lisp/savehist-20+
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../site-lisp/longlines hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/longlines
d:/gnu/vm/trunk/lisp/cus-load hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/cus-load
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-xoxo hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-xoxo
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-wl hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-wl
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-w3m hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-w3m
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-vm hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-vm
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-timer hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-timer
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-table hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-table
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-src hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-src
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-rmail hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-rmail
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-remember hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-remember
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-publish hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-publish
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-protocol hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-protocol
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-plot hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-plot
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-mouse hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-mouse
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-mobile hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-mobile
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-mhe hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-mhe
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-mew hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-mew
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-macs hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-macs
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-mac-message hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-mac-message
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-list hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-list
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-latex hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-latex
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-jsinfo hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-irc hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-irc
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-install hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-install
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-inlinetask hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-info hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-info
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-indent hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-indent
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-id hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-id
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-icalendar hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-icalendar
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-html hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-html
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-habit hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-habit
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-gnus hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-gnus
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-freemind hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-freemind
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-footnote hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-footnote
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-feed hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-feed
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-faces hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-faces
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-exp hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-exp
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-exp-blocks hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-docbook hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-docbook
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-datetree hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-datetree
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-crypt hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-crypt
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-compat hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-compat
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-colview hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-colview
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-clock hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-clock
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-bibtex hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-bibtex
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-bbdb hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-bbdb
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-attach hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-attach
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-ascii hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-ascii
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-archive hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-archive
d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/../packages/org-7.4/lisp/org-agenda hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/org/org-agenda
d:/Home/udr/share/emacs/rnews hides d:/gnu/emacs-23.3/lisp/obsolete/rnews

Features:
(mule-util smtpmail gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view smime dig
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems vm-crypto vm-imap
newcomment shadow sort message ecomplete mml mml-sec password-cache
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums nnheader mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock
hashcash emacsbug mail-utils mailalias vm-reply u-vm-color my-vm vc-bzr sha1
hex-util etags ps-print ps-def lpr vm-save vm-ps-print vm-rfaddons vm-menu
vm-window vm-toolbar vm-folder vm-mime vm-undo vm-virtual vm-summary-faces
vm-mouse vm-page vm-minibuf vm-message vm-misc vm-macro bbdb-vm vm-summary
vm-motion vm-autoload bbdb-snarf mail-extr rfc822 bbdb-com mailabbrev vm
debug cus-start cus-load pp multi-isearch help-mode view info easymenu
warnings server w3m-load bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone vm-autoloads
vm-version vm-vars org-install autopair advice help-fns advice-preload
easy-mmode cl cl-19 savehist tex-site tex-mik telnet movement natural-space
NatSpeak sendmail auth-source gnus-util netrc time-date epa-file epa epg
epg-config ange-ftp regexp-opt comint ring echistory chistory ehelp electric
derived which-func imenu edmacro kmacro jka-compr tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)

--