Subject: bug#8534: 24.0.50; Documentation bug in ns-read-file-name

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 22:34:49 +0200 (CEST)

[Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> (2011-04-24 18:28:42 UTC)]

> > I can patch up the docstring if you explain to me what the opposite of
> > "read a file name for saving" is, and what is the difference between the
> > two kinds of file dialogs (I don't use OSX).
> 
> I guess it means that "non-nil" is backwards, as this part of
> ns-read-file-name shows:
> 
>   panel = NILP (isLoad) ?
>     (id)[EmacsSavePanel savePanel] : (id)[EmacsOpenPanel openPanel];
> 
> This seems to say that if isLoad is non-nil, we pop up a File Open
> dialog, while when it's nil, we pop up a File Save dialog.

That is exactly correct. And the former dialog only lets you select an
existing file, while the latter lets you navigate to a folder and type
a filename.

- Harald