Subject: bug#8519: 24.0.50; doc-view: allow pdftotext -layout instead of -raw

From: [email-masked] (Trent W. Buck)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:23:36 +1000

doc-view supports using pdftotext on ttys.
Unfortunately it is hard-coded to pass -raw.
I would prefer to pass -layout.

Please modify doc-view to allow me to support something like

    (setq doc-view-pdftotext-program-args '("-layout" "-nopgbrk"))

FYI, my pdftotext manpage says -raw is discouraged:

       -layout

              Maintain (as best as possible) the original physical
              layout of the text.  The default is to =b4undo' physical
              layout (columns, hyphenation, etc.)  and output the text
              in reading order.

       -raw   Keep the text in content stream order.  This is a hack
              which often "undoes" column formatting, etc.  Use of raw
              mode is no longer recommended.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2010-12-14 on elegiac, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20101212-2)
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--host' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--without-compress-info' '--with-x=no' '--without-dbus' '--without-sound' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_AU.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Man

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  savehist-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A 
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC 
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A 
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC 
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A 
ESC O A ESC O B ESC O B ESC C-b ESC O A ESC O A ESC 
O A C-e RET RET ( e v a l - a f t e r - l o a d SPC 
" p DEL d o v - DEL DEL c - v i e w " RET TAB ' ( C-y 
C-x C-x C-g ESC s ESC O B TAB ESC O A C-e ESC C-k ESC 
O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC b ESC O B ESC b ESC b ESC d 
l a o u t DEL DEL DEL y o u t ESC O B ESC O A ESC O 
A ESC O A ESC O A ESC C-x C-x C-s ESC a ESC a C-x ESC 
O D C-x C-k C-x C-k RET C-x C-k RET y C-x 1 C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v ESC x m a n RET p d f t o t e x t RET C-x 
0 C-s r a w ESC O C ESC O C ESC O B C-v ESC x r e p 
o r t SPC e m a c s RET b u g RET

Recent messages:
Copying /scpc:soy:/cyber/tmp/split-handshake.pdf to /tmp/tramp.24520Pw.pdf...done
Tramp: Inserting local temp file `/tmp/tramp.24520Pw.pdf'...done
Wrote /tmp/docview1000/split-handshake.pdf
No PNG support is available, or some conversion utility for pdf files is missing.
Unable to render file.  View extracted text instead? (y or n)  y
Invoking man pdftotext in the background
Please wait: formatting the pdftotext man page...
pdftotext man page formatted
Mark saved where search started
call-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit-svn hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit-svn
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit-key-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit-key-mode
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit
/home/twb/.emacs.d/lisp/magit/magit-topgit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit/magit-topgit
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/puppet-el/puppet-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/puppet-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug eldoc paredit find-func apropos cus-edit
cus-start cus-load ibuf-ext ibuffer sort tramp-cmds noutline outline
w3m-cookie thingatpt w3m-search mule-util w3m-form w3m-symbol
w3m-bookmark w3m-session w3m browse-url doc-view image-mode timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
w3m-proc w3m-util cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs woman tabify man assoc conf-mode vc-rcs
newcomment rect sh-script executable grep whitespace log-edit pcvs-util
add-log gnus-cite gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view smime dig
mailcap nnir gnus-sum macroexp nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int message sendmail rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus-range gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit rst compile
tool-bar etags windmove diff-mode vc help-mode easymenu view tramp-sh
shell comint tramp-cache tramp tramp-compat auth-source netrc gnus-util
password-cache format-spec advice help-fns advice-preload tramp-loaddefs
ffap vc-dispatcher vc-darcs cl xml vc-git image wdired multi-isearch
dired-aux dired regexp-opt disp-table rcirc time-date ring server
jka-compr edmacro kmacro xt-mouse ido savehist icomplete paren delsel
saveplace debian-el debian-el-loaddefs w3m-load emacs-goodies-el
emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode dpkg-dev-el
dpkg-dev-el-loaddefs ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)