Subject: bug#8502: closed (Re: bug#8502: Make the agent eagerly cache articles)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 14:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8502: Make the agent eagerly cache articles

which was filed against the emacs,gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8502: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8502
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8502: Make the agent eagerly cache articles
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 16:22:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Let's see...  caching...  so if you're online (in an agentised group)
> and select an article, you want the article to be saved in the Agent
> directory?  That sounds eminently reasonable, and I thought that was
> supposed to happen, but I can't find any code for doing that...  hm...
> Nope.

This is now fixed in git Gnus.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/

Subject: Make the agent eagerly cache articles
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:16:07 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: Emacs,Gnus
Version: 24.0.50

IIUC gnus-agent-cache only causes headers to be cached.  Not caching
full articles made a lot of sense a few years ago, but with current disk
sizes, most/many MUAs happily keep a full local copy of the remote IMAP
folders and Gnus should be able to do the same.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2011-04-13 on ceviche
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10905000
configured using `configure  'CFLAGS=-Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -DUSE_LISP_UNION_TYPE -DSYNC_INPUT -DENABLE_CHECKING -DXASSERTS -DFONTSET_DEBUG -g -O1 -I/usr/include/GNUstep' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Minibuffer-Area

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<M-return> <left> C-a <up> <right> <right> <down> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> F I X M E : 
SPC M-c C-a C-x C-s <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-1> SPC SPC W e SPC s h o u 
l d SPC p r o v i <M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> 
c c - m o d e SPC s h o u l d SPC p r o v i d e SPC 
a SPC f u n c t i o n SPC i n s t e a d . C-a C-x C-s 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <select-window> <select-window> <select-window> 
<select-window> <select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> M-x r e p o - e m - b <tab> <return> 
M a k e SPC t h e SPC a g e n t SPC c a c h e SPC a 
r t i c l e s SPC b y SPC d e f <M-backspace> <M-backspace> 
<backspace> M-b M-b e a g e r l y SPC C-e <return> 
M-< q <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<up> C-l C-u C-x 5 1 C-l <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
M-x M-p <return> M-p <return> M-< C-e q M-x l - l <M-tab> 
<return> c l - m a <tab> <return> <switch-frame> M-x 
M-p <switch-frame> M-< C-e q M-x M-p <return> c l <return> 
M-x M-p M-p <return>

Recent messages:
Entering debugger...
Mark set
Back to top level.
Entering debugger...
Mark set
Back to top level.
Loading /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el (source)...
Entering debugger...
Back to top level.
Loading /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl.el (source)...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(mail-extr message format-spec mml mml-sec mm-decode term disp-table
ehelp ange-ftp mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev sendmail nnheader mail-utils rfc822 mailheader
emacsbug url-util cl-specs grep pcase compile epa-file epa derived epg
epg-config log-edit pcvs-util dabbrev add-log informat texinfo
smerge-mode xscheme trace testcover scheme unsafep re-builder shadow
inf-lisp ielm pp comint ring gmm-utils ert find-func elp edebug
cust-print cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit jka-compr debug info
executable copyright filecache make-mode multi-isearch sort
network-stream starttls tls mpc whitespace diff-mode vc-bzr sha1
hex-util vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
server noutline outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell eldoc checkdoc
regexp-opt thingatpt help-mode easymenu view prog-mode electric
url-handlers url-parse auth-source warnings eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc gnus-util time-date password-cache
url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr reveal autoinsert uniquify advice help-fns
advice-preload savehist minibuf-eldef cl cl-loaddefs proof-site
proof-autoloads pg-vars bbdb-autoloads agda2 tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page newcomment menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit
x multi-tty emacs)