Subject: Re: bug#8500: util: where am i

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:48:20 -0600

severity 8500 wishlist
thanks

Panagiotis Tsiamis wrote:
> Request for adding one more feature on the utillity whoami.
> 
> The feature should be able to called by
> "where am i" or "whereami"
> 
> And should locate:
> a) System hostname

  $ hostname

> b) ip of the system

You tickled a pet issue of mine.  A host rarely has just one IP
address.  This would need to be a list of addresses.

  $ ip addr show | awk '/inet/{print$2}'

A host has a number of network interfaces and each network interface
has a number of IP addresses.  This results in a host potentially
having quite a few associated addresses!

On my network all simple hosts have four IP addresses.  A more
complicated host has seven IP addresses.  One of the most interesting
hosts has 17 IP addresses.

> c) current working directory

  $ pwd

> d) anything else that could be usefull for identify where you are located
> currently.

  $ gpslocation  # <-- Just joking here.

Bob