Subject: bug#850: 23.0.60; make autoloads reports memory exhaustion

From: Tim Van Holder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:15:31 +0200

CVS build of this morning; did a make maintainer-clean followed by a
make boostrap to ensure a clean slate.

My normal "rebuild" script updates the sources and then runs

test -f src/emacs && test -x src/emacs || make
make info
make -C lisp recompile updates
rm -f etc/DOC* src/emacs
make

But since this morning the make command for the lisp subdir fails during
autoloads processing:

Saving file /home/tim/gnu/src/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el...
Memory exhausted--use C-x s then exit and restart Emacs
make: *** [autoloads] Error 255

loaddefs.el doesn't seem to get updated. It also prevented the other
commands for the 'updates' target from running, but I've added -k to the
make options to work around that.

In case it's relevant, I build outside the source tree.