Subject: libtool, MSVC and asm files

From: Jan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 17:22:09 +0430

Hello,

> Can you go into detail, please, preferably on the bug-libtool at gnu.org
> list, so we can fix this upstream?
the current CLN distribution mentions some assembler files in
Makefile.am, e.g.

cl_asm.S
cl_asm_GF2.S

When compiling CLN with MSVC, this produces the error

cl : Command line warning D9024 : unrecognized source file type
'base/digitseq/cl_asm.S', object file assumed
cl : Command line warning D9027 : source file 'base/digitseq/cl_asm.S'
ignored
cl : Command line warning D9021 : no action performed

In other words, renaming the file to have a known extension (e.g. .cc)
would solve the issue. Of course, there are two places to do this
a) in the CLN sources
b) have libtool change the file name when working with MSVC

----------- commands -----------
./configure CC=cl CXX=cl CCAS=cl LD=link MANIFEST_TOOL=mt
CPPFLAGS="-DNO_ASM -EHsc" --host=i586-mingw32msvc

Jan