Subject: Re: bug#8492: 23.3; Time to use a different binding for completion?

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:49:52 +0200

On 2011-04-20 16:16 +0200, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> Since this problem has been around for a long time and no good key has
>>> popped up during this time, I believe that using TAB is the
>>> way forward, which means we need to figure out ways to make it work in
>>> the cases where it currently doesn't.
>> I am inclined to agree that that is the path of least resistance; I
>> think it remains to be demonstrated that two lots of magic can be
>> loaded on to the same key, but I'm prepared to give it a go!
>
> Of course, pursuing this route doesn't preclude pursuing other routes at
> the same time.  So, people should feel free to suggest other keys to use
> for completion.
>
> One that comes to mind is C-M-/ (currently bound to dabbrev-completion,
> so somewhat compatible) but I'm not sure if it's convenient enough.

With a German keyboard layout, C-M-/ is horribly cumbersome to type,
much more inconvenient than either ESC TAB or C-M-i (I usually use the
latter).

Sven