Subject: Re: bug#8492: 23.3; Time to use a different binding for completion?

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:22:20 +0100

On 20 April 2011 14:18, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> This is the problem: unusable defaults. I'm asking if we can have a
>> usable default setting.
>
> Currently, the "usable default" is ESC TAB.

I think "usable" is stretching it a bit :)

> Since this problem has been around for a long time and no good key has
> popped up during this time, I believe that using TAB is the
> way forward, which means we need to figure out ways to make it work in
> the cases where it currently doesn't.

I am inclined to agree that that is the path of least resistance; I
think it remains to be demonstrated that two lots of magic can be
loaded on to the same key, but I'm prepared to give it a go!

> for those modes maybe completion should take precedence as
> in "see if we're somewhere where completion makes sense and if not try
> to reindent", so TAB would complete if point is in an identifier
> but not if it's a BOL.

And there's already code to do this.

At least if there's a concerted effort to make this work and it fails,
there's more incentive to come up with another solution.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org