Subject: Re: bug#8492: 23.3; Time to use a different binding for completion?

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:25:01 +0100

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 at 13:38, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Anyway, I agree that `M-TAB' is a bad choice for a key binding this
> days, since many of the window systems out there steal the key, and
> therefore an important thing like completion doesn't work logically out
> of the box for many people.
>

Indeed, it won't work for most potential new users.

> `C-TAB' is free, of course, but doesn't work on terminals, and I guess
> the same is the case with all other modifier+TAB combinations.  So I
> don't know what we could do -- we could bind `C-TAB' for the GUI people,
> for instance?
>

C-TAB is a good choice for a binding that won't conflict with the
environment, as it's widely used by other programs for "switch tab", so
it's unlikely that any window manager would steal it by default.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org