Subject: bug#8492: 23.3; Time to use a different binding for completion?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:38:28 +0200

Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Emacs binds various completion functions to M-Tab, which is already used
> by many window managers, including Compiz and Metacity, i.e. the WMs one
> is likely to use on a modern GNU system, for switching between open
> windows.
>
> Is it therefore time to admit defeat and find an alternative binding for
> completion functions, even if it’s an extra binding rather than simply a
> different one?

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

I have somehow never considered that `completion-at-point' was supposed
to be on `M-TAB', because the Emacs help system only mentions it as
`C-M-i'...  but `C-i' is, of course, `TAB', and with an added Meta,
that's `M-TAB' alright.  🙃

Anyway, I agree that `M-TAB' is a bad choice for a key binding this
days, since many of the window systems out there steal the key, and
therefore an important thing like completion doesn't work logically out
of the box for many people.

`C-TAB' is free, of course, but doesn't work on terminals, and I guess
the same is the case with all other modifier+TAB combinations.  So I
don't know what we could do -- we could bind `C-TAB' for the GUI people,
for instance?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no