Subject: Re: bug#8492: 23.3; Time to use a different binding forcompletion?

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 19:30:55 +1300

On 2021-10-22 08:44, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> In my opinion, the least intrusive change is to allow C-i and TAB
> to be bound separately on graphical displays.

You can already bind <tab> independently of TAB / C-i on graphical
displays.

(I don't see how you could separate C-i and TAB because they're
literally the same thing.)

> I'm not the biggest fan of the method of "fixing" issues by telling
> users to rebind keys locally.  The problem here is universal.

IMHO there's very little point in trying to account for window
managers using Ctrl or Meta.  That's inevitably going to be disruptive
to Emacs users, and will most likely affect a lot more than just TAB.

I've used a bunch of window managers, and I can't remember a single
one where I didn't configure it to disable most of its bindings, and
move the things I was keeping to non-conflicting sequences.

I see it as a normal part of configuring a system, if you use Emacs.

-Phil