Subject: bug#8492: 23.3; Time to use a different binding for completion?

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:54:17 +0200

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 21 April 2011 19:49, Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> >> > Currently, the "usable default" is ESC TAB.
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Which does not work at all if you use Viper.
>>>> >
>>>> > We should not change Emacs default bindings based on the
>>>> > bindings of Viper - or of any other emulator - or of any
>>>> > other mode etc.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for your view, Drew, but I found this statement of you just
>>>> unusable and unnecessary here.
>>>
>>> You claim that a given default key "does not work at all" if you put yourself in
>>> a special emulation mode.  So what?  If I play chess in checkers mode should I
>>> expect the default, chess binding of each piece to still "work" in checkers?
>>
>> This is just plain stupid. Viper is not just any emulation mode. It
>> happen to be key bindings a lot of potential and current Emacs users
>> knows.
>
> I don't understand why there's even an argument here. Viper is a mode
> with a radically different approach to keybinding, so what does it
> have to do with the default keybindings? It's clearly unreasonable to
> expect default single-chord keybindings to take it into account.

The same has been said about CUA-bindings. Both cua-mode and viper are
parts of Emacs and parts that many users depends on. There are other
emulations that are not that important. In fact I do not know of any
people still using the other emulations.

But the fact is that many people using Emacs depends on cua-mode and
viper. Not taking facts into account is not a good real world
reasoning.