Subject: bug#8492: 23.3; Time to use a different binding for completion?

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:13:00 -0700

> >> > Currently, the "usable default" is ESC TAB.
> >>
> >> Which does not work at all if you use Viper.
> >
> > We should not change Emacs default bindings based on the 
> > bindings of Viper - or of any other emulator - or of any
> > other mode etc.
> 
> Thanks for your view, Drew, but I found this statement of you just
> unusable and unnecessary here.

You claim that a given default key "does not work at all" if you put yourself in
a special emulation mode.  So what?  If I play chess in checkers mode should I
expect the default, chess binding of each piece to still "work" in checkers?

This is a _default_ key binding we're talking about.  It is not _expected_ to
work in every possible mode.  It's especially narrow-sighted to demand that
Emacs default key bindings have their default effects in an _emulator_ mode such
as Viper.

Expecting default Emacs key bindings to all just "work" in a `vi' mode is
ridiculous - and you should know that.

You use Emacs as if it were `vi', and yet you expect all of Emacs, even its
default keys, to keep your personal practice front and center - all attention on
Lennart and what he's doing.  It's not about your own favorite mode or your very
UN-default use of Emacs.  This is about a _default_ key binding.

If Viper mode cannot handle a default key that you think it should be able to
handle, then fix Viper mode to fit your wish.  Don't ask default Emacs to worry
about Viper special needs.

An alternative: break out of the emulator closet once and for all.  Just use
`vi' itself.  Then you don't need to worry at all about Emacs and its krazy
keys.