Subject: bug#8488: print error messages about why specified font size is not used

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 17:17:12 +0100

[email-masked] writes:

> if one uses
> 	 (font . "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-120-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1")
> instead, not a single error message is printed out why acts just like one still says
> 	 (font . "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1")
> Please make sure error messages are produced and can be seen via C-h e.
>
> (info "(emacs) Fonts") doesn't explain the mystery either.
>
> Yes, xlsfonts shows both those fonts are installed.

Here's an easier test case:

emacs -fn '-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-120-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1'

There's no warning, but hitting `C-u C-x =' in a char then says:

    x:-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1 (#x54)

So this bug (if it is a bug) is still present in Emacs 27.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no