Subject: bug#8479: closed (Re: bug#8479: 24.0.50; Strange error message upon M-z M-z)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 21:08:01 +0000

Your bug report

#8479: 24.0.50; Strange error message upon M-z M-z

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8479: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8479
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8479: 24.0.50; Strange error message upon M-z M-z
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 17:07:55 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.0.91

Glenn Morris wrote:

> How about just making the error message more explicit:

Installed.

Subject: 24.0.50; Strange error message upon M-z M-z
From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:01:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Type M-z M-z and you get the following error back trace and message:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument characterp 134217850)
  call-interactively(zap-to-char nil nil)

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-04-10 on lola
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11000000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local/emacs' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fno-crossjumping -g''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-z M-z M-x r e p o r t - e m a c 
s - b u <tab> <return>

Recent messages:

Entering debugger...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/emacs/share/emacs/site-lisp/preview/preview hides /usr/local/emacs/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/usr/local/emacs/share/emacs/site-lisp/preview/prv-emacs hides /usr/local/emacs/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug url-util url-parse url-vars nnagent gnus-topic rect
etags shr-color color shr gnus-dup vc-bzr vc-sccs vc-svn vc
vc-dispatcher debug shell make-mode sendmail ispell gnus-uu yenc
browse-url ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util
ediff-mult ediff-init ediff smerge-mode diff-mode dabbrev canlock sha1
hex-util newcomment gnus-fun flow-fill grep mule-util sort smiley
ansi-color gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-bcklg multi-isearch find-func
help-mode view gnus-async gnus-kill qp gnus-ml pop3 nndraft nnmh nnnil
nnml nnfolder parse-time rot13 disp-table auth-source eieio assoc netrc
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime password-cache dig
mailcap nntp proto-stream starttls tls gnus-cache gnus-mlspl nnir
gnus-sum macroexp nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win info doc-view
jka-compr image-mode vc-cvs lilypond-mode compile comint ring dired-x
dired latexenc cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-git scheme vc-rcs preview prv-emacs
byte-opt warnings reftex-vcr reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex reftex-vars
tex-bar tex-buf toolbar-x noutline outline font-latex bytecomp
byte-compile latex easy-mmode edmacro kmacro tex-style tex regexp-opt
easymenu advice help-fns advice-preload desktop minibuf-eldef gnus
gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit cus-start cus-load preview-latex tex-site auto-loads server
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
David Kastrup