Subject: Re: 24.0.50; Doc string of `lexical-binding'

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:59:01 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> It says that it "only applies to code evaluated by `eval-buffer' and
> `eval-region'."  That is at best misleading.  `C-M-x' eventually calls
> `eval-region', but a user would not guess that the doc string applies
> also to `C-M-x'.  It would perhaps be better to characterize the
> situations where it does _not_ apply to code evaluation.

True.  But I've, at least, changed the doc text to clarify that it
doesn't "only" apply to these functions.

> It is also misleading in that it is sufficient to visit a file, such as
> `minibuffer.el', that has "-*- lexical-binding: t -*-" in its first
> line, for the value to be non-nil and thus affect pretty much anything
> you do in that buffer.

The doc string says:

This variable is automatically set from the file variables of an
interpreted Lisp file read using `load'.

Do you have a suggestion as to how to clarify this?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/