Subject: 23.2.1 fails to start on GNU/Hurd due to bogus code in term.c

From: Svante Signell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:31:45 +0200

Starting Debian emacs 23.2+1-7 in non-window system mode on GNU/Hurd
fails due to bogus code:
#:~ emacs -nw
emacs: Not a tty device: /dev/tty

src/term.c:
#ifdef O_IGNORE_CTTY
    if (!ctty)
      /* Open the terminal device.  Don't recognize it as our
         controlling terminal, and don't make it the controlling tty
         if we don't have one at the moment.  */
      fd = emacs_open (name, O_RDWR | O_IGNORE_CTTY | O_NOCTTY, 0);
    else
#else
      /* Alas, O_IGNORE_CTTY is a GNU extension that seems to be only
         defined on Hurd.  On other systems, we need to explicitly
         dissociate ourselves from the controlling tty when we want to
         open a frame on the same terminal.  */
      fd = emacs_open (name, O_RDWR | O_NOCTTY, 0);
#endif /* O_IGNORE_CTTY */
    tty->name = xstrdup (name);

When O_IGNORE_CTTY is defined (which is the case only on GNU/Hurd...),
the else branch is actually tty->name = xstrdup(name); ... The obvious
fix is attached (provided by Samuel Thibault)

--- src/term.c.orig     2011-01-20 02:14:50.000000000 +0100
+++ src/term.c  2011-01-20 02:15:43.000000000 +0100
@@ -3428,13 +3428,12 @@ init_tty (char *name, char *terminal_typ
          if we don't have one at the moment.  */
       fd = emacs_open (name, O_RDWR | O_IGNORE_CTTY | O_NOCTTY, 0);
     else
-#else
+#endif /* O_IGNORE_CTTY */
       /* Alas, O_IGNORE_CTTY is a GNU extension that seems to be only
          defined on Hurd.  On other systems, we need to explicitly
          dissociate ourselves from the controlling tty when we want to
          open a frame on the same terminal.  */
       fd = emacs_open (name, O_RDWR | O_NOCTTY, 0);
-#endif /* O_IGNORE_CTTY */
 
     tty->name = xstrdup (name);

     terminal->name = xstrdup (name);

Is this fixed in 23.3 already?

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-gnu)
 of 2011-01-20 on kvm-hurd, modified by Debian