Subject: bug#8439: [PATCH] ffap.el -- detect paths with spaces (v2)

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:01:04 +0300

> Even under Unix (where spaces inside filenames are very unusual)

They are unusual for Unix native files but not rare when files
created on Windows reach Unix file systems.  So this problem
is not unique to Windows (only the drive letter part of the problem
is Windows-specific).

> But, if there no way to make false positives amount small enough, I
> would to propose an idea for extension: find-file-at-region().  You
> just select a region of text, and Emacs tries to interprets it as
> default value for find-file().

ffap used to fetch the selected region until Stefan removed this feature
with the following comment:

             (let ((mark-active nil))
               ;; Don't use the region here, since it can be something
               ;; completely unwieldy.  If the user wants that, she could
               ;; use M-w before and then C-y.  --Stef

I have no problem with this change because ffap still can successfully fetch
filenames with spaces due to `ffap-completable' that works surprisingly well
in most cases (it incorrectly highlights the filename part until the first
space, but correctly fetches the complete filename with spaces).