Subject: bug#8429: 24.0.50; regression: `flush-lines' does not flush all it should

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 23:36:32 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:14:57 -0700
> 
> > Does it work if you copy the entire contents of the Grep buffer to
> > another buffer?
> 
> No, same problem.

Well, as you yourself show, it is not the "same problem".

> But you can try for yourself, given the simple recipe.

I did, that's why I asked.  I wanted to know that we see the same
phenomenon.

(And btw, there's no need to load cygwin-FOO.el to see the problem.
Just "M-x grep RET "#" *.el" is enough.  It is also repeatable on
GNU/Linux.)

> autorevert.el:368:;;;[01;31m##[00m[K#autoload
> autorevert.el:377:;;;[01;31m##[00m[K#autoload
> ...
> 
> As you can see, the problem seems to be that the string "###autoload" is not
> present as such.

Exactly!  Customize grep-highlight-matches to nil, and the problem
goes away.

> Instead, escape characters are inserted between ## and #.

That's Grep in action, when we ask it to highlight matches in its
output.  It does that by inserting ANSI escape sequences.

> I hope you will consider it a bug to be fixed.

Not me, but hopefully someone else.