Subject: bug#8417: hexlify-buffer

From: Don Harter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 10:22:43 -0500

From: Don Harter <drh@>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.1; hexlify-buffer
--text follows this line--

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I had loaded a file reverse_geocode.sql
I type esc then x and issued the command hexlify-buffer after using tab to
find the proper completion for it.
The result tha I got was that the file disappeared and I could not undo
anything. Here is the result:
"-hex: No such file or directory"

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
`bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.1/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
of 2010-07-05 on build35
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10800000
configured using `configure '--with-pop' '--without-hesiod' 
'--with-kerberos' '--with-kerberos5' '--with-xim' '--prefix=/usr' 
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' 
'--datadir=/usr/share' '--localstatedir=/var' 
'--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--with-x' 
'--with-sound' '--with-sync-input' '--with-xpm' '--with-jpeg' 
'--with-tiff' '--with-gif' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-dbus' 
'--without-gpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--x-includes=/usr/include' 
'--x-libraries=/usr/lib64:/usr/share/X11' '--with-xft' '--with-libotf' 
'--with-m17n-flt' '--build=x86_64-suse-linux' 
'build_alias=x86_64-suse-linux' 'CC=gcc-4.3' 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0 
-O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector -funwind-tables 
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -D_GNU_SOURCE -std=gnu89 -pipe 
-Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label 
-Wno-unprototyped-calls -fno-optimize-sibling-calls 
-DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 ' 
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2 -Wl,--hash-size=65521''

Important settings:
value of $LC_ALL: nil
value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
value of $LC_TIME: nil
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
show-paren-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
global-auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x 1 <escape> x h e x <tab> <tab> i f y - b u f f
e r <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report> h e
x l i f y - b u f f e r <return> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <buffer> C-@ <help-echo> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<edit> <copy> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<buffer> C-c <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <buffer>
C-b <help-echo> <menu-bar> <buffer> C-c <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <buffer> C-@ <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<buffer> C-a <help-echo> <menu-bar> <buffer> C-b <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
reverse_geocode.sql has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
uim.el: starting uim-el-helper-agent... done
uim.el: starting uim-el-agent... done
Invalid image size (see `max-image-size') [6 times]
Making completion list...
Invalid image size (see `max-image-size')
Buffer reverse_geocode.sql has shrunk a lot; auto save disabled in that 
buffer until next real save
Auto-saving...
Invalid image size (see `max-image-size') [7 times]