Subject: Re: bug#8415: 23.3.50; Extensible Emacs Registers

From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 10:21:45 -0700

Hi Leo,

On 4/3/11 5:29 AM, Leo wrote:
> I would like to propose the following patch that makes the register
> system easier to hook into. With this change, for example, if one wants
> to make a command to save a keyboard macro to a register. There is no
> need to change register.el. 3rd party libraries such as undo-tree.el can
> add registers of undo state that one can jump to with C-x r j.
> 
> With this change, register is now a compound data structure. I have also
> removed one inconsistent use of the argument REGISTER. In the new code
> it always refers to the register object and never the name.

Thanks for doing this work.  Why is window configuration special-cased
instead of going through the function hooking mechanism?  "Any
customized data" might be parsed as referring to the customize
mechanism; "any value" would suffice.  increment and append don't have
extension points.  It'd be reasonable for a non-text register type to
support these operations in some sense.

Other than that, it good okay to me.

Thanks,
Daniel Colascione