Subject: Re: bug#8408: A possible tee bug?

From: "Alan Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:34:30 -0500 (GMT+5)

George Goffe writes:
> 
> Howdy,
> 
> I have run several scripts and seen this behavior in all cases...
> 
> tee somescript | tee somescript.log 2>&1
> 
> The contents of the log is missing a lot of activity... messages and so
> forth. Is it possible that there are other file descriptors being used for
> these messages?

I can't tell what you're trying to do from this incomplete example, but it
looks like you're expecting the 2>&1 to do something other than what it's
actually doing. It's only pointing the second tee's stderr to wherever its
stdout was going.

If the above pipeline is run in isolation from an interactive shell prompt,
the 2>&1 is accomplishing nothing at all, since stderr and stdout will
already be going to the same place (the tty) anyway.

tee's stderr will normally be empty; it would only print an error message
there if it had trouble writing to somescript.log.

Post a more complete description of your intent.

-- 
Alan Curry