Subject: Re: bug#8402: Acknowledgement (24.0.50; Hex colors are not rendered correctly on OS X (Cocoa))

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 02:55:52 +0100

On 06/05/11 00:56, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
> On 04/05/11 17:58, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
>
> Aside, I'm out-of-date here:

Uh. And just to come screaming further toward the present day, it seems
in 2010/2011 work was/is/will-be ongoing to allow x11 clients to opt to
offload color correction via a "net-color" fd.o spec to a "color
server" (part of the compositing manager), for hardware-accelerated
corrections on a per-subregion-of-window basis, with easy libs for
clients to use. [1] Seems to be in an early/unstable but usable state
right now, so by the  time anyone gets to this on the emacs side...

So, while implementing for x11 emacs the xicc all-client-side way would
presumably work right now, it may get easier and faster shortly.  They
seem to be maintaining backward compat so the
(presently-most-widely-used) xicc client-side way keeps on working (but
won't benefit from acceleration).

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc