Subject: bug#8396: 24.0.50; why use options (vars) instead of faces for apropos?

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:16:14 -0700

Throughout apropos.el, we use `defcustom's instead of `defface's for
customizing the faces used.  Why?  Apropos should have its own faces,
not variables that can be assigned to only existing faces (that have
nothing to do with apropos).
 
Try, for instance, C-u C-x = on the bold text in *Apropos*.  You'll see
this:
 
There are text properties here:
  button               (t)
  category             apropos-symbol-button
  face                 bold    <====== WHAT'S THAT ABOUT?
  skip                 t
 
That doesn't help a user understand how to change the face used here.
S?he shouldn't think that s?he can only customize face `bold' to take
care of this.  And there is nothing to indicate to the user that there
is a customizable variable (`apropos-symbol-face') that is relevant
for this.  The user should have a real apropos face to customize.
 
There is no reason to avoid creating faces for the needs of apropos (or
anything else, for that matter.)  Faces are customizable by design -
there is no reason to resort to adding customizable variables when what
is wanted is customizing the appearance (faces).

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-03-21 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'