Subject: bug#8380: closed (Re: bug#8380: "tar u" ignores files if archive modification time >= folder modification time)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:40:04 +0000

Your bug report

#8380: "tar u" ignores files if archive modification time >= folder modification time

which was filed against the coreutils package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8380: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8380
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8380: "tar u" ignores files if archive modification time >= folder modification time
From: Pádraig Brady <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:39:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 8380 + notabug

I suggest you resend this to [email-masked]

cheers,
Pádraig.

Subject: "tar u" ignores files if archive modification time >= folder modification time
From: Karsten Loesing <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:13:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello list,

today I found that "tar u" doesn't update an archive unless the folder's
modification time is newer than the archive's modification time.

So, for example, creating a folder files/ with file-1, creating a test.tar
from it, creating another file files/file-2, and updating test.tar won't
add file-2 if this all happens in the same second.

Even touching files/file-2 a few seconds later won't add it to the tarball
if one tries to update it.

The only way to add files/file-2 is to touch the files/ folder before
updating the tarball.

Please find the attached shell script for an example.

I'm running "tar (GNU tar) 1.20", and I confirmed that "bsdtar 2.6.2 -
libarchive 2.6.2" on Mac OS X 10.6 behaves differently.  So, either this
is a bug, or at least a documentation/usability problem.

Thanks,
Karsten