Subject: bug#837: 23.0.60; ediff-merge-revision: Buffer exceeds maximum size

From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 15:40:21 +0200

When I just made a checkout of Emacs from CVS I got a merge conflict
which I used ediff-revision to resolve. I then got the following back
trace when I did "wb" to save the corrected file:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Buffer exceeds maximum size")
  call-process("diff" nil #<buffer *ediff-custom-diff*> nil "-c"
"c:/DOCUME~1/LENNAR~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ediff282470M"
"c:/ecvsnew/bld/emacs/src/w32term.c")
  apply(call-process "diff" nil #<buffer *ediff-custom-diff*> nil ("-c"
"c:/DOCUME~1/LENNAR~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ediff282470M"
"c:/ecvsnew/bld/emacs/src/w32term.c"))
  ediff-exec-process("diff" #<buffer *ediff-custom-diff*> synchronize
"-c" "c:/DOCUME~1/LENNAR~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ediff282470M"
"c:/ecvsnew/bld/emacs/src/w32term.c")
  ediff-compute-custom-diffs-maybe()
  ediff-save-buffer(nil)
  call-interactively(ediff-save-buffer nil nil)

Looking into ediff-custom-diff I can see there is some problem with ^M:

! 	emacs_event->part = scroll_bar_handle;
! 	y = 0;
! 	break;
        case SB_BOTTOM:
! 	emacs_event->part = scroll_bar_handle;
! 	y = top_range;
! 	break;
        case SB_THUMBTRACK:
        case SB_THUMBPOSITION:
! 	if (VERTICAL_SCROLL_BAR_TOP_RANGE (f, XINT (bar->height)) <= 0xffff)
            y = HIWORD (msg->msg.wParam);

! 	bar->dragging = Qt;

! 	emacs_event->part = scroll_bar_handle;

! 	/* "Silently" update current position.  */

! 	{

! 	  SCROLLINFO si;

This was with my patched version, but I do not think I have any patches
that comes in here:

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-08-28 (patched)
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -Ic:/g/include'