Subject: bug#8368: 24.0.50; "temp" means "help" - rename or at least document

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:28:18 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Maybe we could proceed as follows:
>
>> (1) In my Emacs I moved `internal-temp-output-buffer-show' to Elisp and
>> intend to apply this change to the trunk soon.  Other from that, leave
>> `with-output-to-temp-buffer' unchanged.

This was done, I think...

>> (2) Provide a new macro which does almost the same as
>> `with-output-to-temp-buffer', runs similar hooks ...  Maybe we find some
>> improvements though.
>
>> (3) Change all callers of `with-output-to-temp-buffer' in Emacs 24 to
>> use the new macro and *not permanently* add their functions to the new
>> hooks.  Whether we use another wrapper for this like `with-help-window'
>> or bind the hook temporarily seems a matter of taste.
>
>> (4) Declare `with-output-to-temp-buffer' obsolete.
>
> Sounds like a good plan,

But the rest was not.  Instead `with-output-to-temp-buffer' has been
documented to run help-mode by default, so perhaps somebody decided on
not doing this changearoo?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no