Subject: bug#8368: 24.0.50; "temp" means "help" - rename or at least document

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 10:25:16 +0200

> Can't the help mode code add those hooks only for the use of *Help* and other
 > help-mode buffers?  Why should all uses of `with-output-to-temp-buffer' end up
 > running those hook functions that are, after all, specific to help mode?
 >
 > Can we please move forward on fixing this bug?
 >
 > There is lots of stuff in a "temp" buffer now that has nothing to do with a
 > temporary buffer.

Maybe we could proceed as follows:

(1) In my Emacs I moved `internal-temp-output-buffer-show' to Elisp and
intend to apply this change to the trunk soon.  Other from that, leave
`with-output-to-temp-buffer' unchanged.

(2) Provide a new macro which does almost the same as
`with-output-to-temp-buffer', runs similar hooks ...  Maybe we find some
improvements though.

(3) Change all callers of `with-output-to-temp-buffer' in Emacs 24 to
use the new macro and *not permanently* add their functions to the new
hooks.  Whether we use another wrapper for this like `with-help-window'
or bind the hook temporarily seems a matter of taste.

(4) Declare `with-output-to-temp-buffer' obsolete.

martin