Subject: RE: bug#8368: 24.0.50; "temp" means "help" - rename or at least document

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 12:24:10 -0700

> If `help-mode' is the correct mode for these buffers, then I think
> `with-output-to-temp-buffer' should be documented to put the buffer in
> help mode, and it should be done explicitly in the code -- 
> not by having help.el alter `temp-buffer-setup-hook' when help.el
> is loaded.

See the original bug report.  There I stated that (a) it should at least be
documented, (b) the macros should preferably be renamed (using `-help-', not
`-temp'), and this (c):

"And after renaming functions/macros that way, I think it
 would be good to have real temporary-buffer facilities - a real
 `with-output-to-temp-buffer' (but we would need to pick a new
 name, to avoid confusion), one that does not imply using
 `help-mode' etc.

The point of the last part is that there is a need for creating and using
temporary buffers.  That should never have been co-opted for help, but now that
it is we should fix it properly: (a) call a spade a spade and (b) create new
macros for really dealing with temporary buffers.