Subject: Re: bug#8366: wish: include vc-annotate-goto-line

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 02:43:49 +0200

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 19:49, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Juanma, feel free to install such a feature.

Hmm, no. It's just half-cooked; I threw it together in a few minutes
to help the OP.

> AFAIK there should be a better way to find the file.
> E.g. vc-parent-buffer.

Fist time I've heard of it ;-)

> Annotate buffer may display a different version that the one of the
> checked out file.  E.g. because you have local uncommitted changes, or
> because you asked for the annotations of an older revision.  So line
> numbers may not fully match.  In general, there's no much we can do
> about it, but we should probably try a bit harder than the above,
> e.g. by looking for the closest line with the same text as the line
> we're looking for.  Better would be to ask for a diff between the
> annotated revision and the current file and use it to find out the
> line-offset to use (for those cases where this method works).

Even if the buffer contains the same version, there's the matter of
visual-line-mode, truncate-lines, etc. which can affect line count. So
yes, for a robust answer looking at the context seems essential.

    Juanma