Subject: bug#8362: make install prefix inserted in source code with generated python files

From: Bogdan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 22:29:48 +0100

Mike Frysinger <[email-masked]>, 2024-01-13 07:26:
> On 21 Mar 2023 23:05, Bogdan wrote:
>>    Third, and most important (I think) is that we need to note that
>> "prog/x.py" is GENERATED, but is NOT marked so. Adding
>>
>> 	BUILT_SOURCES = prog/x.py
>
> i don't think this is a correct use of BUILT_SOURCES.
> https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Sources
>
> that var is meant for generating headers before Automake's depgen logic
> can kick in.  that sounds minor, but in practice it means that every
> built source is generated before anything else is compiled.  which can
> insert a bubble into parallel build pipelines.  so we would prefer it
> only be used for things that matter to header dependency generation.
> -mike

  You're probably right. Perhaps not meant for this purpose, but I
think BUILT_SOURCES is the only way to make generated code files
visible to the build system, no matter if for dependencies or not. How
do I e.g. have a .c file generated by 'configure' to be properly built
if I can't list it in Makefile.am (because it's a .c.in file in the
beginning)?
  This was just my simple hack to help the author. There are better
solutions in this case (the ones I wrote later about), and perhaps the
author's build system/Makefile.am's/dependencies should be fixed in
the first place.

--
Regards - Bogdan ('bogdro') D.                 (GNU/Linux & FreeDOS)
X86 assembly (DOS, GNU/Linux):    http://bogdro.evai.pl/index-en.php
Soft(EN): http://bogdro.evai.pl/soft  http://bogdro.evai.pl/soft4asm
www.Xiph.org  www.TorProject.org  www.LibreOffice.org  www.GnuPG.org