Subject: bug#8355: 24.0.50; Boxes in mode-line and scrolling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 19:27:12 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't think I understand what is the complaint here.  The screen
> position of the cursor _is_ preserved with these settings, don't you
> agree?  They are preserved on my system: I did many C-v and M-v, and
> the cursor stays on the same spot on display, moving a few pixels here
> and there when the line at cursor is smaller or taller than the
> default.
>
> If this is what you see, then what is NOT working as expected in this
> scenario?

I think the bug reporter means the inconsistent behaviour of point.

Start with:

And then M-v and C-v:

Note how we landed on the line over where we started.

> The original report was talking about C-v followed by M-v producing a
> 1-line displacement.  Is _that_ the problem?  If so, why did you
> expect Emacs to come to the same place, AFAIK there's no guarantee of
> that when variable-height text is involved.

Shouldn't there be?  Going back a page and forward a page should ideally
land you on the same line.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no