Subject: bug#8354: 23.3; GDB doesn't work with C

From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:30:12 -0400

X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]

See below for a report detailing how GDB fails to work with 23 series builds on OS X.

FYI, the user refers to Aquamacs 1.9, which was based on the Emacs 22 branch (latest revisions), and Aquamacs 2.x, which is based on Emacs 23.x.   Aquamacs 2.2. uses Emacs 23.3.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eric Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: March 26, 2011 9:03:19 PM EDT
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Aquamacs-bugs] 23.3;
Reply-To: Bug reports for Aquamacs Emacs <[email-masked]>

Dear Emacs maintainers,

I am still Using Aquamacs 1.9 as an IDE for C programming as almost no feature of gdb works with Aquamacs 2.*. Here is an example of a session with two features that do not work:

1. Opening a file in C mode with the following contents:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {
   int a = 1;
   return 0;
}

2. Using Tools ... Compile with a Makefile whose contents is

a.out: aaa.c
	gcc -std=gnu99 -ggdb aaa.c

3. Using Tools... Debugger (GDB)

4. Setting a breakpoint before "return 0;" and starting executing the program, that stops on that line.

5. Problem #1: Moving the point over "a" does not display the value of "a" in a small box, as it does with Aquamacs 1.9.

6. Problem #2: Selecting "a" and clicking on "Watch expression" opens the Speedbar but does not display the value of "a", as it does with Aquamacs 1.9 (with Aquamacs 1.9, the behaviour is still not perfect, as the values of variables are not displayed dynamically in the Speedbar as they change, in contrast to what happens when Emacs is run on some Linux platforms). 

Thank you for your attention with respect to these issues.

Best regards,

Eric Martin.

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and may appear in other public locations.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting with an Aquamacs without customization
for which see the Help / Diagnose and Report Bug menu:

Enter your bug report here.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
   `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
of 2011-03-19 on braeburn.aquamacs.org - Aquamacs Distribution 2.2
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--without-x' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O3 -fno-tree-pre -falign-loops -arch i386' 'LDFLAGS=-O3 -fno-tree-pre -falign-loops -arch i386''

Important settings:
 value of $LC_ALL: nil
 value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
 value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
 value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
 value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
 value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
 value of $LC_TIME: nil
 value of $LANG: nil
 value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
 locale-coding-system: nil
 default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
 savehist-mode: t
 smart-frame-positioning-mode: t
 aquamacs-autoface-mode: t
 recentf-mode: t
 osx-key-mode: t
 tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
 tabbar-mode: t
 show-paren-mode: t
 delete-selection-mode: t
 pc-selection-mode: t
 cua-mode: t
 tooltip-mode: t
 mouse-wheel-mode: t
 tool-bar-mode: t
 menu-bar-mode: t
 file-name-shadow-mode: t
 global-font-lock-mode: t
 font-lock-mode: t
 blink-cursor-mode: t
 auto-encryption-mode: t
 auto-compression-mode: t
 smart-spacing-mode: t
 column-number-mode: t
 line-number-mode: t
 visual-line-mode: t
 transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
^X ^F <backspace> ~ / ⇧D E S <tab> A A A <tab> <return> 
<menu-bar> <tools> <compile> <return> <menu-bar> <tools> 
<gdb> <return> ^X B <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
^X B <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> B SPC 
5 <return> R <return> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<drag-mouse-1> <tool-bar> <watch> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <bug-diagnosis> <send-emacs-bug-report

Recent messages:
Loading /Users/emartin/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Recent Files.el (source)...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
26 environment variables imported from login shell (/bin/bash).
Loading /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/auctex.el (source)...done
one-buffer-one-frame-mode disabled.
Mark set [32 times]
Aquamacs is based on GNU Emacs, a part of the GNU/Linux system. It is Free Software: you can improve and redistribute it under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. (C) 2011 D. Reitter. No Warranty.
(No files need saving)
Compilation finished
Refreshing speedbar...done

Load-path shadows:
/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/wikipedia-mode hides /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/nxhtml/related/wikipedia-mode
/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/php-mode hides /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/nxhtml/related/php-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash
mail-utils emacsbug speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe assoc gdb-ui bindat
json gud compile comint ring cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs aquamacs-mode-defaults auctex-config
server preview-latex tex-site auto-loads aquamacs-aux savehist mouse-sel
one-buffer-one-frame smart-frame-positioning drews_init
color-theme-autoloads saveplace visual-line aquamacs-bug
aquamacs-autoface-mode aquamacs-editing sendmail recentf tree-widget
cus-edit osxkeys emulate-mac-keyboard-mode frame-cmds strings misc-fns
thingatpt+ thingatpt frame-fns avoid aquamacs-mac-fontsets fit-frame
aquamacs-frame-setup aquamacs-tabbar tabbar-window cl cl-19 cus-start
cus-load tabbar easy-mmode warnings aquamacs-site-start
cocoa-compatibility smart-dnd filladapt aquamacs-redo check-for-updates
aquamacs-menu osx_defaults aquamacs-tool-bar aquamacs
mac-extra-functions aquamacs-tools aquamacs-macros parse-time timezone
time-date paren delsel pc-select cua-base wid-edit regexp-opt advice
advice-preload byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile debug help-fns help-mode
view image-file disp-table tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)

Command line: (/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs)

PATH: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/local/bin:/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/Applications/pig-0.8.0/bin:/Users/emartin/Documents/bin:/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin:/usr/texbin:/opt/local/bin:/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/Applications/pig-0.8.0/bin:/Users/emartin/Documents/bin::/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/texbin:/opt/local/bin:/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/Applications/pig-0.8.0/bin:/Users/emartin/Documents/bin::/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/texbin:/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin

exec-path: (/usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/texbin /usr/X11/bin /opt/local/bin /Developer/usr/bin /usr/X11R6/bin /Applications/pig-0.8.0/bin /Users/emartin/Documents/bin /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin /usr/texbin /opt/local/bin /Developer/usr/bin /usr/X11R6/bin /Applications/pig-0.8.0/bin /Users/emartin/Documents/bin  /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/texbin /usr/X11/bin /usr/texbin /opt/local/bin /Developer/usr/bin /usr/X11R6/bin /Applications/pig-0.8.0/bin /Users/emartin/Documents/bin  /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/texbin /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin . /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin) 

Eric Martin
School of Computer Science and Engineering
UNSW Sydney NSW 2052 Australia